Monday, September 27, 2010

BookLook Review "Supreme Justice"


“Supreme Justice”
Today my computer spam menu includes offers for an oil deal in Iraq, a free iPhone, a palm reading, and apparently I have inherited money! Unbelievable – just like this book.
“Supreme Justice” by Phillip Margolin is a fairly enjoyable murder mystery requiring the reader to suspend reality and just take that offer for a free ride. It would be a good idea to read “Executive Privilege” first to understand why the characters do what they do, although I read that book and I was still confused. Maybe fewer characters and time-line jumps and state skipping would have helped my disorientation. When I read a book I want the free gift offered; I just don’t want to work too hard for it.

A mysterious freighter carrying drugs is docked in Oregon. Captain John Finley narrowly escapes being murdered with the rest of his crew by one of the sailors and steals a duffle bag filled with cash from the ship. It doesn’t turn out to be a good idea. The ship soon disappears with the dead crew and illegal drugs and everyone who knows about it is silenced. A powerful drug cartel and mysterious government agents are involved in the cover-up.

Next we travel across time zones and calendars to Washington D.C. to the Supreme Court which appears to have a criminal sitting on their court. The justices are deciding whether to hear an appeal from Sarah Woodruff on death row in Oregon who has been convicted of murdering her ex-boyfriend John Finley (that boat captain who stole the drug money).One Supreme Court judge resigns and another is nearly murdered. There appears to be some connection to the Sarah Woodruff appeal.

One of the clerks of the court, Brad Miller teams up with three other characters from “Executive Privilege” to secretly investigate and they once again turn over a rock to find government agencies hiding underneath. Dana Cutler, Keith Evans and even Miller’s girlfriend Ginny return to find out who is hiding what and bring them to justice.

“Supreme Justice” picks up where “Executive Privilege” left off and Margolin has once again convinced me that there are shady politicians and crooked agents everywhere. Since the government is still running those corrupt black ops, I wonder if I could get a little help from a rogue agent to track down the guys who keep offering to find me a date on Singles Net. I’m pretty sure that’s a black op too.

No comments: